A new research study from the WALTHAM® Centre for Pet Nutrition, the science center behind CESAR® Canine Cuisine, and the University of Liverpool was just released, stating the many benefits of dog ownership during pregnancy.
The research concludes that pregnant women who own dogs are more physically active, are more likely to meet the guidelines for daily activity which is an important part of maintaining a healthy weight during pregnancy and play a great role in motivating people to exercise.
The study, which has been published in the open-access online journal PLoS ONE, also reinforces the widespread belief that dogs and their owners provide one another with a shared feeling of joy, while also spotlighting the benefits of dog ownership.
“We are increasingly seeing that exercising with a dog can lead to improved motivation and effectiveness,” Dr. Sandra McCune, research program manager at Waltham Centre for Pet Nutrition, said in a statement. “As a low-risk exercise, dog walking can help women, who may otherwise find it hard to meet their exercise targets, keep active and fit during pregnancy. Together with a balanced diet, it could therefore help towards ensuring a healthy pregnancy.”
Details of the study include:
- The shared joy of having a dog and how other studies have shown owning a dog can bring positive mental and physical benefits to the owner and the dog.
- How owning a dog helps pregnant women reach exercise targets, playing an important part of maintaining a healthy weight during pregnancy so they are likely to stay healthier
- Why maintaining a healthy weight during pregnancy is an important measure for combating excessive weight gain.
- How previous studies have shown that maternal obesity can lead to an increased risk of a range of health complications, and may even be linked to childhood obesity
- How through brisk walking, pregnant women who own dogs are approximately 50% more likely to achieve the recommended 30 minutes of activity per day.
- By helping pregnant women stay active, dog walking – together with a healthy diet – could form part of an effective strategy for maintaining a healthy weight during pregnancy.
CESAR® Canine Cuisine believes in the shared relationship and powerful bond between people and dogs. And because dogs so eagerly spread love to the people in their lives, CESAR® is committed to giving that love back by shining a light on the many benefits of spending time with a dog.