This week on Tracie Hotchner’s weekly DOG TALK® radio show and podcast:
- David Haworth, the CEO of the Morris Animal Foundation, explains how MAF raises the money to underwrite research being done at veterinary colleges to study many issues affecting animals of many species, including a new study evaluating stem cell therapy — how it functions and how well it works.
- Becky Robinson talks about Feral Cat Day (Oct 16) and the work being done by Alley Cat Allies (http://www.alleycat.org/) to support feral cat groups conducting “Trap, Neuter, Return” (TNR) programs across the country.
- Jim Gorant wrote about an extraordinary pit bull in WALLACE: The Underdog Who Conquered a Sport, Saved a Marriage, and Championed Pit Bulls — One Flying Disc at a Time, who was a nearly-euthanized shelter reject and became a national champion competitor in Disc Dog, a tribute to the man who saw his potential, brought out the brilliance in the dog, and changed a lot of minds about the unfairly maligned breed.
IDEAS OF THE WEEK
- If you make charitable donations to animal-related organizations, please consider a contribution (of any size at all) to the Morris Animal Foundation to support their superb work. Here’s an article about the stem cell treatment study on kidney failure in cats David Haworth discussed with Tracie.
- And in celebration of Feral Cat Day, October 16th, please support the important efforts of Alley Cat Allies to protect cats without homes in managed colonies
- The Humane Society of the United States has a fantastic countrywide map of all the local feral cat groups so you can join or turn to them for assistance with homeless cats you may discover. Donations to HSUS can be tagged for a very specific topic so this could be a good time to help them help the protectors of cats without homes.
This is one of two radio shows by pet author and canine nutrition expert Tracie Hotchner, who also hosts CAT CHAT® every Wednesday on Martha Stewart Living Radio on Sirius/XM Satellite. Tracie Hotchner is the author of The Dog Bible: Everything Your Dog Wants You to Know and The Cat Bible: Everything Your Cat Expects You to Know.