Partnering with the American Society for the Prevention of Cruelty to Animals, the queen of cuisine is helping to provide sustenance for the souls of animal lovers as the 2013 ASPCA Rachael Ray $100K Challenge gets underway.
Starting at midnight on June 1st and continuing throughout the weekend, 49 shelters in 30 states will kick off a three-month adopt-a-thon with major adoption events to find more forever homes for the canines and cats in their care than they did at the same time last year. In the process, the shelters and rescues may possibly win prize grants which will save the lives of more companion animals in the future.
The shelters/rescues participating in the 2013 ASPCA Rachael Ray $100K Challenge are:
- Greater Birmingham Humane Society in Birmingham, Alabama
- Mobile County Animal Control in Mobile, Alabama
- Western Arizona Humane Society in Lake Havasu City, Arizona
- HALO Animal Rescue in Phoenix, Arizona
- Butte Humane Society in Chico, California
- Hesperia Animal Control and Services in Hesperia, California
- Moreno Valley Animal Shelter in Moreno Valley, California
- San Bernardino County Animal Care and Control in San Bernardino, California
- Yolo County Sheriff’s Office – Animal Services in Woodland, California
- Washington Animal Rescue League in Washington, D.C.
- Humane Society of Pinellas in Clearwater, Florida
- Suncoast Humane Society in Englewood, Florida
- Jacksonville Humane Society in Jacksonville, Florida
- Pasco County Animal Services ‚Äì FOAS, Inc. in Land O‚Äô Lakes, Florida
- Osceola County Animal Services in St. Cloud, Florida
- Cherokee County Animal Shelter in Canton, Georgia
- Humane Society for Greater Savannah in Savannah, Georgia
- Canyon County Animal Shelter in Caldwell, Idaho
- South Suburban Humane Society in Chicago Heights, Illinois
- Macon County Animal Control and Care Center in Decatur, Illinois
- Almost Home Humane Society in Lafayette, Indiana
- Animal Rescue League of Iowa, Inc. in Des Moines, Iowa
- Lawrence Humane Society in Lawrence, Kan.
- Animal Rescue League of Boston in Boston, Massachusetts
- Friends for the Dearborn Animal Shelter in Dearborn, Michigan
- Capital Area Humane Society in Lansing, Michigan
- Humane Society of Midland County in Midland, Michigan
- Humane Society of South Mississippi in Gulfport, Mississippi
- Wayside Waifs in Kansas City, Missouri
- The Animal Foundation in Las Vegas, Nevada
- Eleventh Hour Rescue in Randolph, New Jersey
- Animal Service Center of the Mesilla Valley in Las Cruces, New Mexico
- Brother Wolf Animal Rescue in Asheville, N.C.
- Toledo Area Humane Society in Maumee, Ohio
- Western Pennsylvania Humane Society in Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania
- Providence Animal Rescue League in Providence, Rhode Island
- Anderson County P.A.W.S. in Anderson, South Carolina
- Riverside County Department of Animal Services in Jurupa, South Carolina
- Unicoi County Animal Shelter in Erwin, Tennessee
- Beaumont Animal Services in Beaumont, Texas
- City of Corpus Christi Animal Care Services in Corpus Christi, Texas
- Citizens for Animal Protection in Houston, Texas
- Houston Humane Society in Houston, Texas
- Texas Humane Heroes in Leander, Texas
- Salt Lake County Animal Services in Salt Lake City, Utah
- Lost Dog and Cat Rescue Foundation in Sumerduck, Virginia
- Virginia Beach SPCA in Virginia Beach, Virginia
- Wisconsin Humane Society in Milwaukee, Wisconsin
- Cheyenne Animal Shelter in Cheyenne. Wyoming
In 2012 more than 56,000 of our four-pawed pals found loving pet parents thanks to the competition.
A total of $600,000 in grant money will be awarded by the ASPCA and Rachael Ray to organizations which increased animal lives saved at their shelter/rescue over the three-month period, with a $100,000 grand prize presented to the shelter contestant that achieves the highest increase in lives as compared to the same time period in 2012. Grant money will also be given to the organizations which perform best in their divisions, and to the contestant which best engages its community to help the paws cause.
For more information:
- visit www.aspca.org/100k
Photo Credit: PRNewswire/Nutrish