Totally tubular tail waggers are stoked for the chance to catch a wave and raise funds for a paws cause in the process at the largest canine surf contest in the country, Helen Woodward Animal Center’s 8th Annual Surf Dog Surf-A-Thon.
- Taking place September 8th, more than 80 hotdogging Moondoggies in four different weight class divisions will “hang twenty” at Dog Beach in Del Mar, California in the hope of winning ‘wagging’ rights and a Top Fundraising Grand Prize of a fishing trip to Mexico. The skills of the sponsored surFURS will be judged during 20 minute heats by Fox5 San Diego Evening News broadcaster Jaime Chambers, premier surfing instructor Kahuna Bob and two-time West Coast Women’s Champion, former US Surf Team member and founder and publisher of Surf Life for Women magazine, Sunshine Makarow.
- Showing off their style on the sand, in the Beach Bum Costume contest canines will dress to impress judges Bonnie-Jill Laflin, a model, broadcast journalist, NBA scout and founder of Hounds for Heroes; and Jagger and Kristi from Magic 92.5 XHRM-FM.
- Discover which fortunate Fido will be the second inductee into Helen Woodward Animal Center’s Surf Dog Hall of Fame.
- Cheer for clever canines in the Flying Fido Frisbee Festival.
- If you are looking for a bodacious barking beach buddy, meet some of the adorable adoptables from Helen Woodward Animal Center, who will also have trained professional on hand to answer pet parents’ questions.
- More than 40 interactive vendor booths.
- A special kids area will include, hula hooping contests, face-painting, building sand castles, creating crafts to take home, and much more.
A happening with heart, 100 per cent of the proceeds from the event will benefit the animals and programs at Helen Woodward Animal Center.
If you can’t be there in person you won’t have to surf the web for information about the surf-a-thon, as the event will be broadcast live at 8:30 a.m. PT/11:30 a.m. ET on Ustream.tv.
When: September 8, 2013 from 8 a.m. – 2 p.m. PT
Where: Dog Beach in Del Mar, California
For more information:
- visit www.surfdog.kintera.org
Photo: Celebrity SurFUR and top fundraising dog Ricochet rides tandem with a surfing goat at Helen Woodward Animal Center’s Surf Dog Surf-A-Thon Credit: PRNewsFoto/Helen Woodward Animal Center