While a live auction of the memorabilia will take place on April 4th at a fundraising tribute dinner in Carmel, California in honor of Doris Day’s 90th birthday, collectors everywhere with a passion for compassion still have the chance to be among the auction’s winners by placing bids online prior to 6 p.m. PDT on April 1st.
A happening with heart, all of the proceeds from the auction will benefit the Doris Day Animal Foundation, a nonprofit which has helped our furry, finned and feathered friends since its founding by the star in 1978.
Among the Doris Day items up for bid (which will all include a thank you note from the icon) are:
- A Saks Fifth Avenue handbag and Echo silk scarf from the animal-loving luminary’s personal wardrobe, authenticated with autographed photos.
- Three boxed sets (each signed by Doris Day) of the famed singer’s recordings, plus the book for Move Over Darling, an incomplete set which is out of production.
- A Love Me or Leave Me package, complete with a 45 RPM of the movie’s title song; photos of Doris Day from the classic film (one with co-star Cameron Mitchell, another of the actress in a gown created by Helen Rose), and sheet music for the song “I’ll Never Stop Loving You,” which was penned specifically for the movie. All items have been autographed by Doris Day.
- Helen Rose’s 1976 memoirs Just Make Them Beautiful, a book filled with the Oscar-winning costume designer’s recollections of her movie masterpieces and fashion sketches, including a look at the blue gown donned by Doris Day in the 1955 musical drama Love Me or Leave Me. A reproduction Love Me or Leave Me movie poster, which has been autographed by Doris Day, is also included.
Among the items up for bid from other high-profile pals to those with paws (which will also include a thank you note from Doris Day) are:
- A four-CD “Wings Over America” deluxe edition box set, autographed by Paul McCartney.
- A vegan leather Fallabella bag by Stella McCartney.
- An 8″ x 10″ reproduction Al Hirschfield print of Carol Channing, autographed by the star of Hello, Dolly! fame.
- A Tony Bennett giclee print of the Golden Gate Bridge, signed by the classic crooner.
- A Tony Bennett lithograph of Ella Fitzgerald, signed by the singer of “I Left My Heart in San Francisco.”
- A Warner Brothers gift package complete with two tickets for a Thursday Warner Brothers studio tour; a copy of “Hollywood Be Thy Name” by Cass Warner, autographed by the author and the daughter of Harry Warner; a copy of “Images of America: Early Warner Bros. Studios,” including a signed photo of Doris Day in Lullaby of Broadway, and a DVD of the Warner Bros. studio tour.
Photo Credit: Amazon