The start of the new year marks the start of a new series on Animal Planet, with The Guardians shining a spotlight on a team of compassionate volunteers who come to the rescue of dogs and cats in need of a new lease on life.
Premiering January 7, 2017 at 10 p.m. ET/PT, the show follows the efforts of the non-profit animal rights and welfare organization Guardians of Rescue.
Bringing their own unique set of skills to the table in order to support the paws cause, a team comprised of carpenters, electricians, former military personnel, retired police detectives, former FBI investigators and ex-cons and gang members join forces to provide comfort and care for animals in dire straits. Throughout the series the camera captures the crew as they:
- help to curb pet overpopulation by neutering feral cats.
- rescue puppies from violent situations.
- restore an RV for a veteran and his canine companions.
- construct new enclosures for animals in need.
Guardians of Rescue, in partnership with other animal welfare organizations, helps canines and cats from coast to coast by investigating cases of animal abuse and rescuing companion animals whose lives have been turned upside down due to natural disasters. The organization also helps to create a better tomorrow for people and pets in need through its many programs:
- Operation Support Our Troops, which honors the bond formed between homeless dogs and cats and members of the military who cared for them during deployment by supporting efforts to bring the animals safely to US soil.
- Gimme Shelter, which offers free to pet parents the secure accommodation needed by companion animals who remain outdoors in inclement weather.
- Helping Families, Saving Pets, which provides free meals and basic medical care for the companion animals of pet parents who are facing financial difficulty.
- As love for our friends with fur does not stop at our nation’s borders, Guardians of Rescue also has a Guardians International program, which is striving to save dogs whose lives are in danger due to the dog meat trade.
Photo Credit: Animal Planet