As we wrap up this weekend’s BlogPaws conference in Washington, DC, I wanted to take a moment to put together seven highlights from the conference!
- Adoption by Petfinder. DogTipper was one of 10 blogs “adopted” by Petfinder for the conference. We went to lunch with the Petfinder editors and talked with them about additional ways we can work with them. As you know, we adopted Tiki, Irie, and Inca following Petfinder searches so we are so proud of this honor!
- The Exhibit Hall. This year’s exhibit hall was the best of the five BlogPaws conferences we’ve attended. I enjoyed talking with each of the exhibitors and learning about what’s new for pets.
- The Dogs. Along with more exhibits, there were also more dogs than at previous conferences. I always enjoy watching dogs interact and always learn from them. Our dogs were at home, where I knew they’d be more comfortable than in the city, where the noise level would be stressful for Irie.
- Steve Dale’s Keynote. Last year at BlogPaws, Steve Dale, syndicated columnist and radio host, interviewed me about our Barkonomics book so I couldn’t wait for this year’s keynote. I watched the session from the balcony and especially loved Steve Dale’s message that, in the animal welfare world, we all just need to get along!
- Matt Beswick’s “SEO: Getting Ahead in Search” Session. Matt is an SEO professional so we knew he’d have some good tips for how to improve your placement in the search engines. Matt had helpful tips on everything from infographics to reducing thin content to guest posting.
- Dino Dugan’s “The Future of Blogging” Session. Our takeaways: Some of the old models and measurements for what constitutes a successful media campaign have changed, and bloggers should realize we are no longer in an ad-driven culture but are in an era of influence marketing. Dugan emphasized that bloggers should be paid for that influence…we look forward to putting his suggestions to work here on DogTipper.com in the coming months!
Paul C. Jorgensen’s “All You Need to Know About Copyright” Session. A good description of what constitutes fair use highlighted this presentation. He also gave advice about what bloggers should do if they find their work has been taken without their knowledge.
Next year’s BlogPaws conference will be at Lake Las Vegas from May 8-10, 2014!
Disclosure: Paris Permenter’s trip expenses were sponsored by The Nutro Company. As a blog adopted by Petfinder, we received a financial prize as well. All opinions and statements are entirely our own.