Earlier this year we wrote about the ASPCA Rachael Ray $100K Challenge, an amazing annual event (now in its third year) that challenges shelters across the country in a race to save more animals’ lives.
The Challenge enlists 50 competing animal shelters to spend the next three months working tirelessly to increase their adoption numbers over the same period last year. The winning shelter will receive a $100,000 grant from the ASPCA and Rachael Ray to continue its life-saving work—and other contestants will vie for a chance to bring home some of nearly $500,000 in additional grant prizes.
With the kick off of the challenge, many shelters are holding large adoption events through the weekend. Follow along on Twitter under the hashtag #100KChallenge and cheer your favorite shelters as they work to save more lives!
To find a contestant near you, please visit http://challenge.aspcapro.org/contestants. To see a complete list of events as they are scheduled – including those scheduled for this week’s kick-off – please stay tuned to http://challenge.aspcapro.org/events throughout the contest.
The contestants will work to save at least 300 more cats and dogs during the months of August, September and October 2012 than they did during the same period in 2011. The ASPCA and Rachael Ray will award a $100,000 grand prize to the shelter contestant that achieves the greatest increase in lives saved during this three-month period. A second place prize of $25,000 will be awarded to the shelter with the second greatest increase in lives saved, and the contestant that does the best job of engaging its community members in helping to save more animals will win $25,000. Those organizations that do the best in their divisions will be eligible for between $5,000 and $40,000 in additional grants.
Win a Gift Pack: How to Enter
**This giveaway is closed. Of the 47 entries, the winner is Lisa F. Congratulations!**
One lucky DogTipper reader will receive a special ASPCA gift pack! To enter to win, check out the list of shelters participating in the 2012 ASPCA Rachael Ray $100K Challenge below. Leave a comment (in either comments field at the end of this post) about which shelter you are cheering for as they compete to win the Challenge! On Tuesday, August 7, one comment will be selected at random to receive an ASPCA gift pack. Good luck!
The 50 shelters competing in the 2012 ASPCA Rachael Ray $100K Challenge are:
In the West Division:
- Kern County Animal Control in Bakersfield, Calif.
- Animal Outreach of the Mother Lode in Diamond Springs, Calif.
- Escondido Humane Society in Escondido, Calif.
- Marin Humane Society in Novato, Calif.
- Animal Friends Rescue Project in Pacific Grove, Calif.
- San Bernardino County Animal Care & Control in San Bernardino, Calif.
- Animal Friends of the Valleys in Wildomar, Calif.
- Canyon County Animal Shelter in Caldwell, Idaho
- Nevada Humane Society, Reno, Nev.
- Greenhill Humane Society in Eugene, Ore.
- Humane Society of Central Washington in Yakima, Wash.
In the Northeast Division:
- Bangor Humane Society in Bangor, Maine
- Baltimore Animal Rescue and Care Shelter (BARCS) in Baltimore, Md.
- Talbot Humane in Easton, Md.
- Montgomery County Humane Society in Rockville, Md.
- Eleventh Hour Rescue in Randolph, N.J.
- Humane League of Lancaster County in Lancaster, Pa.
- The Pennsylvania SPCA in Philadelphia, Pa.
- Animal Friends, Inc. in Pittsburgh, Pa.
- Animal Rescue League Shelter and Wildlife Center in Pittsburgh, Pa.
- Last Chance Ranch, Inc. in Quakertown, Pa.
In the Southeast Division:
- Central Brevard Humane Society in Cocoa, Fla.
- Broward County Animal Care and Adoption Center in Ft. Lauderdale, Fla.
- Flagler Humane Society in Palm Coast, Fla.
- Seminole County Animal Services in Sanford, Fla.
- Big Dog Ranch Rescue in Wellington, Fla.
- The Humane Society of Charlotte in Charlotte, N.C.
- Oconee County Humane Society, Inc. in Seneca, S.C.
- Young-Williams Animal Center in Knoxville, Tenn.
- Portsmouth Humane Society in Portsmouth, Va.
In the South Central Division:
- Arizona Animal Welfare League & SPCA in Phoenix, Ariz.
- HALO Animal Rescue in Phoenix, Ariz.
- Humane Society of Southern Arizona in Tucson, Ariz.
- Santa Fe Animal Shelter & Humane Society in Santa Fe, N.M.
- Tulsa Animal Welfare in Tulsa, Okla.
- Beaumont Animal Services in Beaumont, Texas
- Denton Animal Shelter Foundation in Denton, Texas
- BARC Animal Shelter & Adoptions in Houston, Texas
- City of San Antonio Animal Care Services in San Antonio, Texas
In the North Central Division:
- Winnebago County Animal Services in Rockford, Ill.
- City of Bloomington Animal Care and Control in Bloomington, Ind.
- Heartland SPCA in Merriam, Kan.
- Friends for the Dearborn Animal Shelter in Dearborn, Mich.
- Kent County Animal Shelter in Grand Rapids, Mich.
- Ashtabula County Animal Protective League in Ashtabula, Ohio
- Humane Society of Greater Dayton in Dayton, Ohio
- SICSA in Kettering, Ohio
- Toledo Area Humane Society in Maumee, Ohio
- Medina County SPCA in Medina, Ohio
- Bay Area Humane Society in Green Bay, Wis.
For More Information:
Disclosure: The ASPCA is providing the prize for this giveaway.