We’re making plans for Sunday’s Easter egg hunt with Irie and Tiki which will include a few boiled eggs and some special dog treats for the occasion (substituting as their breakfast on Sunday morning.)
Both Irie and Tiki absolutely love chicken livers (and I love the price!) so I created this easy recipe. It makes a LOT of treats; if you just have one dog or have small dogs, you might want to halve the recipe. I have used one pound of chicken livers since it is sold in a one-pound tub at my supermarket (and it has a very short life in your refrigerator) but you could use half a pound for this recipe and half for another chicken liver recipe.
- 5 cups whole wheat flour
- 2 cups brown rice flour
- 1 pound chicken livers
- 1 can (14.5 ounces) green beans, no salt added, drained
- 1 egg
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees and either grease cookie sheets or line with parchment paper.
- In a food processor or blender, mix chicken livers until liquid then add green beans. Pulse until liquid with only small chunks remaining.
- Mix flours and egg then pour in chicken liver and green bean mixture. Mix dough (by hand or with a dough hook). The dough will be heavy. (If the dough is sticky, add a little more flour; if too dry, add a little water.)
- Roll out dough to 1/2-inch thickness then cut with your favorite cookie cutters. (Alternatively, pinch off a small piece of dough, roll it into a ball, place on cookie sheet and slightly flatten with a fork.)
- Bake treats for about 30 minutes; watch for treats to brown on the bottom.
- (Optional) To create a little glaze on the cookies, whip an egg then dip the top of the biscuits in the egg mixture, returning to oven for another two minutes.
- Remove from oven and allow to completely cool before refrigerating. Can be refrigerated for about two weeks.