If you’re considering a new dog for your family, check out the animal shelters and rescue groups in your area! We have a special page featuring adoptable dogs and cats (just click on the tab you’d like to search). Listings are updated every 15 minutes, 24 hours a day!
Five Great Reasons to Get a Shelter Dog
1. Money. For only about $100 at many shelters, you can adopt a dog who has been spayed or neutered, received a health check, and received shots appropriate for his age.
2. Selection. Sadly, you’ll always find lots of dogs at local shelters with more coming in practically every day.
3. Purebred Availability. Did you know that about a fourth of the dogs in shelters are purebreds? Also, many rescue groups specialize in a particular breed.
4. Trained Dogs. How great would it be to get a dog that’s already housetrained or leash trained and just waiting to head off on a walk with you? Shelters receive trained dogs all the time.
5. You’ll Save a Life. Adding a shelter dog to your family will save a life. Can’t handle the tough task of visiting a shelter with a euthanization policy? Check out a no-kill shelter or call a local rescue group. Adoption from either one means an open space so they can take another animal whose fate is uncertain.