After BlogPaws, I applied for the Halo Adoption Champions program, an innovative program pairing two bloggers with shelters to help build their social media presence. It was one of several online jobs I’ve applied for recently and, along with a $2500 stipend for the blogger, included donation food to your favorite shelter and more.
Unfortunately I didn’t receive the job, and I was just about to file away my application when I realized that perhaps my ideas could be put to use by anyone who would like to help their local shelter build their social media presence! The jobs I outlined were to fulfill a 50-hour minimum requirement so you might need to pick and choose these options, depending on your time and your skills. I hope that these ideas might help you if you’re looking for ways to help your favorite shelter or rescue!
How I would assist a partner shelter or rescue:
- Host Twitter party showcasing shelter adoptables, tips on adoption, tips on ways to help the shelter. Pre-party promotion would include press releases and giveaways encouraging our followers to follow the shelter’s social media accounts.
- Review shelter’s social media accounts and provide suggestions on optimizing accounts for SEO; suggestions for Facebook cover, events page, and about page; suggestions on Twitter cover and background; assistance on Pinterest profile and boards; assistance on Instagram profile; assistance with YouTube channel.
- Provide 100 conversation starters, 100 Facebook posts, and 100 Twitter posts that can be plugged in and used any time.
- Write series of five articles that the shelter can provide local newspapers, use for online promotion, bundle as free ebook, etc. Interview shelter personnel for creation of articles. Topics could include tips for selecting a shelter dog, tips for selecting a shelter cat, bringing your new furry family member home, volunteering, how to help your shelter without spending money.
- Write about work we are doing with the shelter and discuss on DogTipper, CatTipper, and across our platforms.
- Create template press release for shelter to use for special events. Compile list of free press release sites and the shelter’s local media contacts.
- Create social media editorial calendar for the year detailing promotional efforts.
My Websites and Social Media Accounts
- Websites: http://www.dogtipper.com, http://www.cattipper.com
- Facebook handles: https://www.facebook.com/dogtipper, https://www.facebook.com/cattipper
- Twitter handles: @dogtipper, @cattipper
- Other social media accounts:
If you are looking for a writer or social media expert to hire for your company, please check out our “Hire Us” page!