Dog Fancy magazine has released its annual picks in America’s Best Dog Parks contest. (Last year’s results) This year’s best dog park is Jackass Acres K-9 Korral, in New River, Arizona.
“In an age when keyboards and touchpads connect us, off-leash parks flourish across the country because they are great gathering places for both dogs and dog owners to come together and enjoy each other’s company,” says Dog Fancy Editor Ernie Slone. “The best parks offer opportunities for socialization and exercise, but also strive to create a special bond and a sense of community.”
The Top 10
- Jackass Acres K-9 Korral, New River, Ariz.
- Pilgrim Bark Park, Provincetown, Mass.
- Kenton Paw Park, Covington, Ky.
- Cosmo Dog Park, Gilbert, Ariz.
- Puptown Dog Park, Chicago, Ill.
- W.O.O.F. P.A.C. Park, Santa Maria, Calif.
- Hermon Dog Park, Los Angeles, Calif.
- Prairie Pastures Dog Park, Clinton, Iowa
- Wantage Dog Park, Wantage, N.J.
- Bow Wow Beach, Stow, Ohio
How Parks are Chosen Each year, Dog Fancy calls for readers to submit nominations for what they believe to be America’s best dog parks. To be considered, parks must have fencing, double gates and free clean-up bags. Parks are then considered based on a list of criteria including: water for dogs and their people, shade, lights, parking availability and accessibility, support organizations and special events, among others. This year, extra points were awarded to dog parks with an active community group and parks that hold educational workshops or low-cost health clinics.
For the Complete List For the complete story on America’s Best Dog Parks, and to find out which 40 parks made the list, pick up the June issue of Dog Fancy, on newsstands April 27, 2010. Visit www.DogChannel.com/dogparks to locate a dog park in you area.