On September 9th the sands of Dog Beach in Del Mar, California will be covered in the paw prints of pups who will make a big impression on the hearts of viewers who can watch all the action on a Google Plus Hangout or on the homepage of www.animalcenter.org.
Pawl Griffin, the Four-Legged V.P. of Canine Communications for Iams, which is sponsoring the event, and internet sensations SURFice dog Ricochet, Nani, Dozer and Buddy are among the 80 Moondoggies who are scheduled to to step on to surf boards when competitions in four different weight classes commences.
Scoring the skills of the hot-dogging dogs and their human companions will be celebrity judges Michael Munoz from the CBS reality series Amazing Race; retired pro surfer and actor Kalani Robb, who starred in Blue Crush and Forgetting Sarah Marshall; TransWorld SURF Editor-in-Chief Chris Cote and top riders from Volcom.
- Reality personality Jenni Pulos from Bravo’s series Flipping Out will flip for the fashion forward Fidos who will show their style on the sand as she judges the Beach Bum Bikini Babe Canine Costume Contest.
- Costume-wearing canines and their human companions will test their surfing talents during the Doo the Dah event.
- Attendees can cheer for the tail-waggers who will be attempting two world records for Biggest Dog Paw-ty/Party Wave (for the most Rovers riding the same wave on separate boards) and Longest Canine “Hang Twenty” Surf Ride.
- See a display of doggie dexterity during a dog agility course demonstration by San Diego Pet Training.
- Find a new furry family member among the adorable adoptables from Helen Woodward Animal Center.
- Dog devotees can mull over merchandise and find out about animal-related organizations at more than 40 interactive vendor booths.
A happening with heart, proceeds from the competition and the rest of the day’s activities will benefit the animals and programs at Helen Woodward Animal Center, a 12-acre, no-kill shelter in Rancho Santa Fe, California which has saved and enriched the lives of companion animals for more than 30 years. Last year the Surf Dog Surf-a-Than raised more than $100,000 for the organization.
When: September 9, 2012 from 8 a.m. – 2 p.m. PT
Where: Dog Beach in Del Mar, California
For more information:
- visit www.surfdog.kintera.org
Photo Credit: PR Newswire