Thank you all so much for guessing Barli’s breed mix! We had so much fun seeing everyone’s guesses (many of which were also our guesses!) Since Barli’s DNA showed EIGHT breeds (with two more that are good possibilities), many of your guesses were put in the pot for the random drawing for the $50 PawZaar gift card! The winner is:
When we adopted Barli in March from the Hill Country SPCA, we didn’t know what breeds might make up his heritage. The shelter guessed Border Collie and Australian Shepherd but, of course, it’s anyone’s guess–unless you do a DNA test…which we did!
Thanks to a review kit we received from Embark Vet, we had the opportunity to test Barli’s DNA, not just for his breed mix but also for over 160 genetic conditions that he could be at risk for. We’ve received his results and can’t wait to share them…but first we wanted to have a little fun and see what breeds you thought made up our Barli!
Win a $50 Gift Card
Guess one of Barli’s breeds and enter to win a $50 gift card to our PawZaar gift store; you’ve got until 11:59pm on Saturday, July 14, 2018 to enter! The giveaway is open to readers everywhere; the prize will be send as a $50 PawZaar gift card. The gift card doesn’t cover international shipping or duties (U.S. shipping is free).
To enter, just leave a comment below with your guess as to one of Barli’s breeds. Each comment with one of his correct breeds (yep, there’s definitely more than one!) will be put in a pot and we’ll draw one winner at random. You can enter with one comment for all your breed guesses or multiple comments…it’s your choice. We can’t wait to see your guesses!
Here are some physical and behavioral clues that might help you with your guesses:
- At eight months old, Barli now weighs 27 pounds.
- Barli’s neck is 12 inches.
- Barli does not have rear dewclaws.
- Barli’s fur is curly, both on his back and even his whiskers!
- He has long feathers on his rear legs; the feathers are a gray merle. The rest of his fur is black.
- He has short fur on his legs and muzzle.
- He loves to run!
- He likes to bark.
- He’s super smart (he even learned how to use the dog bells we have on the front door within five days of arriving…just by watching Tiki).
- He loves our cats and loves other dogs.
- He loves new people but can be just a little standoffish with new people until he has a chance to know them…then brace yourself and be prepared for a kiss!
- All of his nails and paw pads are black.
- His tail is held up over his back.
And here are a few photos to help your guesses:
Baby Barli when he first reached the shelter in mid-December at about two months old?
Barli on the shelter website in the photo we first saw of him on Petfinder at about five months old.
Barli’s eyes are a deep chestnut color.
Under all that fur, he’s a slender little fellow!
His ears are folded (and furry!)
Barli’s muzzle is slender.
We hope these clues help…and can’t wait to see your guesses in the comments below. Then watch for our Embark Vet post on Monday, July 16 for the winner and for Barli’s Embark Vet DNA results!!