Although making your own dog food and treats can be a healthy and economical way to feed your dog, you must know which foods to never feed your dog. These foods are toxic to dogs and must always be avoided:
- Apricot pits
- Apple seeds
- Cherry pits
- Coffee (and other caffeinated drinks)
- Garlic: some people feed small amounts of garlic but only in moderation.
- Grapes and raisins: because they are condensed, raisins are more dangerous than grapes; avoid cereals and cookies with raisins.
- Macadamia nuts
- Peach pits
- Persimmons: the seeds can cause problems
- Plum pits
- Potato peels: discard the peel and any green portions of the potato.
- Yeast dough: uncooked dough is very dangerous to your dog.
- Xylitol: used in some diet foods and all diet gums, it is highly toxic to dogs.
Cooks: Don’t miss our My Dog Says I’m a Great Cook™ cookbook with over 100 dog treat recipes from the publishers, readers and fans of DogTipper! This paperback book is available in our PawZaar gift store!