The holidays are stressful for us–just think how they are on our pets! The different noises and lights, the hustle and bustle of people coming and going, and then there’s that big tree in the house!
Today we’ve got some great tips for recognizing the signs of holiday-related stress in your pets and reducing that stress:
Signs of Holiday-Related Pet Stress:
- Hyper-salivation or drooling
- Soiling the pet owner’s belongings
- Chewing or scratching at doors or crate
- Non-stop howling, barking, meowing
- Compulsive grooming or licking
- Tearing up furniture or pushing items off counters
Tips for Reducing Your Pet’s Holiday Stress:
- Do not dress your pet in a holiday costume
- Maintain a normal leash / walking schedule
- Give positive reinforcement with praise and treats for appropriate behavior
The holidays can be a great time to enjoy spending more time with your dog or cat–make sure it’s a fun time for both of you!