Sunday, as most of you know, is the Super Bowl or, as apparently we’re now supposed to say, “the big game.” For many of you, that means Super Bowl parties.
Whether you’re having a full-fledged Super Bowl party at your house or just plan to kick back and have a little tailgate party of your own in the living room, we’ve got some tips for you on keeping Fido safe during the football fun:
- Keep an eye on alcoholic beverages. Don’t let Bowser near the beer or any kind of booze. While you may always be careful about that practice, your guests may not so keep an eye on their drinks, too.
- Keep cautious canines crated or otherwise secured. All that football action could very well mean some raised voices and waved arms, not to mention strange people in the house if you’re hosting a party. If your dog is fearful or shy, let him have some quiet time in his crate, away from the action, in a far bedroom, or safely in a fenced yard. You can go out and tell him the score at halftime.
- Watch the trash. Super Bowl parties mean food and a lot of it…and that means trash. Be sure to keep your trash secured so your dog cannot eat the disposable plates.
- Beware of bones. Many Super Bowl parties mean buffalo wings with bones. Chicken bones and dogs are a definite no-no so keep an eye on those plates of wings.
- Manage the munchies. Many of the tempting munchies that your guests might bring–from trail mix with raisins to decadent chocolate brownies–can be dangerous to your dog. Keep an eagle eye on chocolate, raisins, macadamia nuts, onions, grapes, and diet foods containing Xylitol.
- Tag Your Dog. Even if your dog doesn’t typically wear his collar in the house, be sure your dog is tagged for party time. The coming and going of guests and the activity of the day could mean a loose dog.
- Designate a Dog Watcher. Designate one member of your family to keep an eye on your dog throughout the party fun.
A few minutes of preparation before your Super Bowl party and during the party itself can score a touchdown in terms of canine safety!