Rachael Ray Nutrish has sponsored this post, but all opinions are my own.
At our house, summer means outdoor fun–for us and for Irie and Tiki. Early morning hikes (before the heat sets in), wading in the creek (once the temperatures start to rise), and trips to the lake mean exercise for us and for the dogs, all while making memories and enjoying the outdoors together.
But our schedule doesn’t always permit us to travel as much as we’d like with our dogs, even for day trips. We’re often busy at the computers for hours on end. For as much as they love lying on the couch or napping in the office in the comfort of the air conditioning, it’s easy to see that both Irie and Tiki really love to be outdoors, especially with us. They love to hang out with us in the house but, the moment they see one of us walk towards the front door, they’re up and ready to go outside and explore their yard. Being outdoors appeals to their instinctual need to explore and participate in the world around them.
This summer, we’re determined to do more with Irie and Tiki to help meet that need of theirs to enjoy nature. We started by creating more cool and shady places for them to enjoy. Tiki loves her elevated cot on the front porch as a cool platform for keeping an eye on her yard.
5 Ways for You and Your Dog to Enjoy the Backyard
Regardless of your summer schedule or budget, make time to enjoy the outdoors with your dog this season! Here are five fun ways you can appeal to your dog’s instinctual love of the outdoors in your own backyard while having a great time yourself–and making memories that will last far beyond the summer season:
- Have a picnic. Even the simplest meal can be a picnic for you and your dog! Throw a blanket down in your yard, enjoy the view of your home from a different vantage point, and share a meal with your dog al fresco.
- Listen. Sit outside with your dog, close your eyes, and just listen. A dog’s sense of hearing–which borders on a superpower–tunes him into sounds that we often just ignore. Spend half an hour sitting quietly with your dog and appreciating all the summer sounds that he enjoys in this place called home.
- Buy a wading pool. Tap into your inner child–and your dog’s inner puppy–and purchase an inexpensive children’s wading pool for your yard. You and your dog can cool off and experience the joy of summer together.
- Play hide and seek. Hide and challenge your dog to find you (that probably won’t take long) or up the difficulty level by hiding treats and toys. Your dog’s sense of smell will lead him to the prize.
- Exercise together. Besides your daily walks, summer is a great time to move your exercise routine outdoors and bring your dog into the fun! Whether your yoga becomes doga or you opt for dancing with your dog, you’ll enjoy the outdoors and have fun with your dog while you’re doing it.
New Rachael Ray™ Nutrish® PEAK Foods
Also appealing to our dogs’ instinctual cravings is the new Rachael Ray™ Nutrish® PEAK foods, nutrient-dense recipes that Irie and Tiki just love (and ones that I love because I can pick them up when I’m shopping for groceries). The new food comes in two recipes:
- Rachael Ray™ Nutrish® PEAK Open Range Recipe™ with Beef, Venison & Lamb (made with U.S. farm-raised beef as the #1 ingredient)
- Rachael Ray™ Nutrish® PEAK Northern Woodlands Recipe™ with Turkey, Duck & Quail (made with U.S. farm-raised turkey as the #1 ingredient)
These natural foods, made with added vitamins and chelated minerals, are protein-rich and grain-free. With 30 percent protein, the food contains NO grains, glutens or fillers–and NO poultry by-product meal, artificial flavors, colors, or artificial preservatives.
Both varieties are safely cooked in the U.S. and, along with the U.S. farm-raised beef and turkey, feature prime meats straight from the destinations known as world leaders among gourmands:
- Venison and Lamb from New Zealand
- Duck from the U.S.
- Quail from the U.S. and France
Created for dogs of all sizes, both flavors are a big hit in our home!
Another aspect of PEAK that’s a big hit in our house is the fact that this food–like all Nutrish foods–benefits homeless pets. Rachael’s Rescue® was created for all of the forgotten pets – the ones who might not have someone who loves them as much as they deserve. A portion of proceeds from each sale of Nutrish is donated to The Rachael Ray Foundation, which helps animals in need through Rachael’s Rescue.
Through December 2016, Rachael’s Rescue has donated more than $17.5 million to pet charities and other organizations that do good for animals. The funds are used for food, medical supplies, treatments, and more for animals in need. Many more animals around the country need help, and through Rachael’s Rescue, together we can make a difference in the lives of many four-legged friends!
Enter the #NutrishBackyardWild #Sweepstakes
We know that you love giveaways–so you won’t want to miss the new #NutrishBackyardWild #Sweepstakes – prizes include GoPro HERO Session! It’s a super simple to enter–just follow Nutrish on Instagram (@nutrish) and share a pic of your active dog using #NutrishBackyardWild and #sweepstakes for a chance to win! Have a look at the great prizes–including prizes for weekly winners!
- Year’s supply of PEAK™
- GoPro® HERO Session™
- SanDisk Extreme 32GB microSDHC
- Fetch Harness
- GoPro® Floaty
- 2 free bags of PEAK™
- FitBark Dog Activity Monitor
- Chuckit Classic 26M Launcher
- 12 Tuff Balls — Industrial Strength Dog Toy
Another chance to win!
And we’ve got a super fun prize to give one lucky DogTipper winner, courtesy of Nutrish! Enter to win an indoor agility course for your home! We know that with summer’s hot temperatures just around the corner, sometimes, for all the fun the outdoors brings, we just have to keep the pups in the air conditioning in the heat of the day. This indoor agility course will keep your dog active while you stay cool! Good luck!