Still making your summer vacation plans? You’re in luck: DogFriendly.com has just released its top 10 dog-friendly U.S. resort regions for 2009, ones selected by their staff for their dog-friendly accommodations, things to do with your dog, beaches, parks and dog-friendly patio dining.There are some great options on this list….the tough part is going to be making your selection!
- Carmel / Monterey, California – Many pet-friendly accommodations. Off-leash Carmel City Beach. Many walking and hiking options. Shop and dine in luxury.
- Bar Harbor / Acadia, Maine – Pet-friendly Acadia National Park. Shop in the historic downtown. Take a ferry or boat cruise.
- Black Hills, South Dakota – Lots of dog-friendly attractions and campgrounds. Mt Rushmore worth visiting with a dog. See Badlands National Park.
- St Augustine, Florida – See the historic downtown. Lots of dog-friendly shopping and dining. Take a harbor boat cruise and a ghost tour.
- Cape Cod, Massachussetts – Visit Cape Cod National Seashore. Many cruises and ferries. Also take in Nantucket and Martha’s Vineyard.
- Key West, Florida – Quaint B&Bs and outdoor dining. Dog-friendly attractions, boating and stores. See the Southernmost Point Monument.
- Charlottesville, Virginia – Visit estates of Thomas Jefferson and Patrick Henry. Shop at the downtown mall. Visit dog-friendly Shenandoah Park nearby.
- Mendocino, California – Stay in a pet-friendly B&B or resort. Walk the seaside town. Go to the beach and dine outdoors.
- Asheville / Blue Ridge, North Carolina – Tour the Blue Ridge Parkway. Visit the Biltmore Estate grounds and shop at Biltmore Village.
- Amarillo, Texas – Visit the famous Cadillac Ranch. Spend a day or camp at Palo Duro Canyon. Stay at the Big Texan Steak Ranch Motel.
Honorable Mentions: The following five places are also excellent vacation spots to visit with your dog:
- Corpus Christi, Texas
- Grand Canyon, Arizona
- Lake Tahoe, California/Nevada
- Mackinac Island, Michigan
- San Luis Obispo, California
For More Information:
11 Tips to Make Your Dog’s First Vacation a Success! (2023)
Thursday 2nd of February 2023
[…] make your dog’s first vacation a cross-country trip. Plan a short outing with your dog to a dog-friendly restaurant or a state park to see how you and your dog handle the […]