Riding the waves and helping to turn the tide on the problem of pet homelessness in the process, more than 60 rad Rovers will show off their skills during a day of sea, sand, sun and sports-loving Spots at the 13th annual Imperial Beach Surf Dog Competition.
The event will include single dog heats, with canines competing in small, medium, large and x-large categories, and tandem heats consisting of dog/dog surfing, dog/human surfing and dog/human on a stand up paddle board.
Along with applauding the awesomeness of the surfing dogs they shred the waves, spectators can also enjoy dog-themed activities on the shore at the SurFUR Expo, where:
- Potential pet parents can meet a new furry friend in the dog adoption area.
- Pet parents can strike a pose with their pup in a free photo booth complete with a green screen.
- Attendees can record a memory of the day with their canine companion in a free video booth.
- Rover can romp in an off-leash play area.
- Fido is invited to unleash his inner foodie while tasting food and treat samples in the dog food garden.
- Our tail-wagging chums can take on a beginners agility course.
- Pet parents can shop for a souvenir for Spot among vendor booths brimming with dog-related merchandise.
- There will also be an array of food trucks, a beer garden, and a Kid Zone for the enjoyment of two-legged attendees.
A pup-themed beach party with a purpose, a portion of the event proceeds and all of the fundraising will be donated to the San Diego Humane Society, which has been helping our pals with paws nice opening its doors in 1880.
Can’t make it to the Imperial Beach Surf Dog competition? You won’t be in the dog house with your barking buddy, as the Surf City Surf Dog competition at Huntington Beach takes place on September 23rd!
Admission: Free for two-and four-legged spectators (There is a registration fee for dogs participating in the event.)
When: July 29, 2017 from 9 a.m. – 3 p.m.
Where: 2 Elder Avenue (adjacent to the Imperial Beach Pier) at Imperial Beach, California
Photo Credit: Surf City Surf Dog Competition