Even the simplest restaurant meal or coffee shop visit turns into a memorable outing when you bring your dog. A growing number of dog-friendly restaurants and coffee houses are welcoming dogs on their patios. (US restaurants do not allow dogs other than service dogs indoors due to health regulations.)
If you are new to dog dining, be sure to check out our article on 13 tips for enjoying dog-friendly restaurants with tips on where your dog should sit (always on the ground, never in a chair) and what you should pack for an al fresco dinner with your dog.
You’ll find many local establishments that welcome you and your dog–just give your favorites a call– but we’ve also rounded up a list of chain establishments that welcome dogs at many locations. Again, you’ll want to make a call to your local location because city ordinances–or even just a manager’s preferences–can mean that some locations do not permit dogs even if the restaurant has a patio with an exterior entrance. (And, on occasion, some restaurants restrict use of those outdoor tables to peak summer season.)
Here’s a list of nationwide dog-friendly restaurants that just might say “bone appetit” to your dog:
- Applebee’s: Many Applebee’s locations have outdoor tables that welcome dog diners; call your local restaurant to check.
- Baja Fresh Mexican Grill: This chain is known for its all-fresh, fire-grilled dishes.
- Bruster’s Real Ice Cream: This popular chain doesn’t just welcome dogs on their patio but also offers them a special treat! According to the Bruster’s website, “Bring your dog with you into your neighborhood store, and they’ll be rewarded with a free Doggie Sundae. And you’ll be rewarded with their everlasting devotion.”
- Cracker Barrel: Call your local Cracker Barrel to ask if the porch (with those famous rocking chairs) is dog-friendly; many are.
- Dairy Queen: The drive-thru window of this popular chain offers free Pup Cups, vanilla soft serve topped with a dog biscuit! Ask if the patio is dog-friendly at your local Dairy Queen or drive through and head to your local park to enjoy.
- In-N-Out Burger: Not only are most In-N-Out Burger patios dog-friendly but they also offer two secret menu items for four-legged diners. The Pup Patty is a salt-free, unseasoned hamburger patty for dogs while the Flying Dutchman is two plain hamburger patties with two slices of cheese, for the big boys.
- Joe’s Crab Shack: Enjoy seafood while your dog hangs out with you at the restaurant’s outdoor tables.
- Johnny Rockets: Outdoor tables welcome dogs at many locations.
- La Madeline: We love having breakfast at La Madeline with our dogs; the large patio gives us all plenty of space, even on busy weekends.
- Lazy Dog Restaurant & Bar: With a name like “Lazy Dog,” it’s no surprise that this eatery has its own dog menu! Order your dog a grilled hamburger patty or grilled chicken breast, either accompanied by brown rice, all to be enjoyed on the restaurant’s outdoor patio.
- Olive Garden: Not all Olive Garden locations have patio seating but, if yours does, ask if your dog can join you–many welcome dogs!
- Outback Steakhouse: Like Olive Garden, not all Outback Steakhouse locations have patio seating but, if you see it, it pays to ask if they permit dogs.
- Panera Bread: Just about every Panera location we’ve visited has welcomed dogs on the outdoor patio. One location even told us that single diners often order via the Panera app so food can be delivered to their outdoor table without having to go inside!
- Shake Shack: Shake Shack doesn’t just welcome your dog to join you on the patio, they also feature special offerings for your dog! Available at all US locations except those Shake Shack locations in stadiums, ballparks, and airports, the dog menu features the Pooch-ini®, vanilla custard with ShackBurger® dog biscuits (made especially for Shake Shake by New York City’s Bocce Bakery). This is a large treat so multiple dogs can share. You can also just opt for a Bag O’ Bones, five ShackBurger® dog biscuits.
- Sonic Drive-In: The car hops at many Sonic locations have dog treats in their aprons, a sign of the popularity of this drive-in with dog travelers. Along with eating in your car or taking your food to go, some locations also have patio seating that welcomes dogs; ask if yours permits dogs.
- Sprinkles Cupcakes: Enjoy dessert with your dog thanks to the sugar-free cupcakes frosted with yogurt-based goodness, all designed for dogs.
- Starbucks: Dogs are invited to join you on the patio of most Starbucks locations which also feature a secret menu item just for four-legged visitors: the Puppuccino, a free little cup of whipped cream.
Pin It to Remember It!
What is YOUR favorite patio restaurant to enjoy with your dog? Please leave us a comment below!