Are you looking for special pet holidays that recognizes the special role that dogs, cats, and other pets play in our lives? You’ve come to the right place.
This extensive calendar of special dog holidays and cat holidays, updated throughout the year, features fun holidays as well as serious pet awareness days, weeks and months that focus attention on challenges in the pet world.
Want to print out the calendar?
Download out 2021 Dog Holiday Calendar to get all the dog holidays in a two-page printable format! Subscribe and watch your email for how to download your calendar:
- National Train Your Dog Month.
- Walk Your Dog Month.
- Adopt a Rescued Bird Month.
- Unchain a Dog Month.
- Jan. 2: National Pet Travel Safety Day.
- Jan. 2: Happy Mew Year for Cats Day.
- Jan. 8: National Labrador Retriever Day.
- Jan. 14: National Dress Up Your Pet Day.
- Jan. 22: National Answer Your Cat’s Question Day.
- Jan. 24: Change a Pet’s Life Day.
- Jan. 24: Peanut Butter Day. A day to honor the creamy creation that has helped train and treat many dogs! (See our Peanut Butter dog treat recipes)
- Jan. 29: Seeing Eye Guide Dog Anniversary.
- Beat the Heat Month.
- Dog Training Education Month.
- National Cat Health Month.
- Spay/Neuter Awareness Month. (Humane Society of the United States)
- Pet Dental Health Month.
- Responsible Pet Owners Month.
- National Prevent a Litter Month.
- Feb. 7-14: Have a Heart for Chained Dogs Week.
- Feb. 21-27: National Justice for Animals Week.
- Feb. 2: Sled Dog Day.
- Feb. 3: Doggy Date Night.
- Feb. 3: National Golden Retriever Day.
- Feb. 14: Pet Theft Awareness Day.
- Feb. 19: National Boston Terrier Day.
- Feb. 20: Love Your Pet Day.
- Feb. 22: Walking the Dog Day.
- Feb. 23: International Dog Biscuit Appreciation Day.
- Feb. 23: National Dog Biscuit Day.
- Feb. 23: World Spay Day. Annual campaign by the Humane Society International and The Humane Society of the United States; held the last Tuesday of February. Created to combat the crisis of pet overpopulation in every corner of the globe, animal lovers are encouraged to spread the word through social media and help to raise funds for the paws cause.
- Poison Prevention Awareness Month.
- Adopt a Rescued Guinea Pig Month.
- March 7-13: Professional Pet Sitters Week.
- March 21-27: National Poison Prevention Week.
- March 3: If Pets Had Thumbs Day.
- March 13: K-9 Veterans Day.
- March 17: Saint Gertrude of Nivelles Day— patron saint of cats.
- March 23: National Puppy Day.
- March 23. Cuddly Kitten Day.
- March 28: Respect Your Cat Day.
- March 30: Take a Walk in the Park Day. Although not exclusively a pet holiday, this day makes a great time to explore a new park with your dog!
- Canine Fitness Month.
- Active Dog Month.
- National Adopt a Greyhound Month.
- National Heartworm Awareness Month.
- National Pet First Aid Awareness Month. This event is an effort by the American Red Cross to draw attention to the need to know specialized pet first aid.
- Prevent Lyme Disease in Dogs Month.
- Prevention of Cruelty to Animals Month. (ASPCA)
- National Pet Month. (UK)
- April 1-7: International Pooper Scooper Week.
- April 1-7: National Raw Feeding Week.
- April 11-17: Animal Care and Control Appreciation Week. 2nd full week in April.
- April 11-17: National Dog Bite Prevention Week. 2nd full week in April.
- April 18-24: Animal Cruelty/Human Violence Awareness Week. An effort by the Humane Society of the United States. Third week in April.
- April 18-24: National Pet ID Week. Third week in April.
- April 26-May 2: National Scoop the Poop Week. Starting the day after “National Sense of Smell Day” (the last Saturday of April), this week recognizes the importance of scooping that dog poop.
- April 3: Every Day is Tag Day. Always the first Saturday in April.
- April 4: World Stray Animals Day.
- April 6: National Siamese Cat Day.
- April 8: National Dog Fighting Awareness Day.
- April 8: National Catahoula Day.
- April 10: National Hug Your Dog Day.
- April 11: National Pet Day.
- TBA: Dog Therapy Appreciation Day.
- April 19: National Cat Lady Day.
- April 21: Bulldogs are Beautiful Day.
- April 22: Earth Day.
- April 22: National Beagle Day.
- April 23: National Lost Dog Awareness Day.
- April 24: World Veterinary Day. This event from the World Veterinary Association is always celebrated on the last Saturday in April.
- April 25: National Pet Parents Day. Always the last Sunday in April.
- April 26: National Kids and Pets Day.
- April 27: National Little Pampered Dog Day.
- April 28: International Guide Dog Day. Always the last Wednesday in April.
- April 30: Adopt a Shelter Pet Day.
- April 30: National Therapy Animal Day.
- April 30: National Tabby Day.
- April 30: Hairball Awareness Day. Last Friday in April.
- National Pet Month. (US)
- National Foster Care Month.
- Responsible Animal Guardian Month.
- Lyme Disease Prevention Month.
- Pet Cancer Awareness Month. Sponsored by Pet Cancer Awareness and the Blue Buffalo Foundation for Cancer Research. (Also see November events.)
- Chip Your Pet Month.
- National Service Animal Eye Exam. The American College of Veterinary Optholmologists hosts this annual event when over 300 veterinary ophthalmologists donate their services to provide eye exams to service dogs in the US and Canada during the month of May.
- May 2-8: American Humane’s Be Kind to Animals Week. This week-long event has been celebrated since 1915. Always the first full week of May.
- May 2-8: Dog Anxiety Awareness Week. Founded by Assisi Animal Health.
- May 2-8: National Pet Week. Always held the first full week of May by the American Veterinary Medical Association.
- May 3-8: Puppy Mill Action Week. An initiative of the HSUS, this week is always scheduled to begin the Monday before Mother’s Day.
- May 1: National Purebred Dog Day.
- May 2: Mayday for Mutts. First Sunday in May.
- May 3: National Specially-Abled Pets Day.
- May 8: National Animal Disaster Preparedness Day.
- May 8: National Dog Mom’s Day. Second Saturday in May.
- May 10: German Shepherd Day.
- May 14: International Chihuahua Appreciation Day.
- May 20: National Rescue Dog Day.
- May 28: Feast Day of St. Bernard of Montjoux. The patron of hospices at two Alpine passes, later to be named Great and Little St. Bernard passes. The hospices were home to–you guessed it–St. Bernard dogs who were trained to find lost travelers.
- May 30: International Cavalier King Charles Spaniel Day.
- Adopt-a-Cat Month®. From the American Humane Association.
- Adopt-a-Shelter-Cat Month. From the ASPCA.
- National Foster a Pet Month. New from the Petco Foundation.
- National Pet Preparedness Month. This month, timed for the first month of hurricane season, urges people with pets to make preparations in case they should be hit by a disaster…and that includes making plans for what you would do with your dog in case of a hurricane, tornado, flood or other natural disaster.
- National Microchipping Month.
- June 6-12: Pet Appreciation Week. First week in June.
- June 12 – 13: Westminster Kennel Club Annual Dog Show, Lyndhurst Mansion, Tarrytown, New York. Rescheduled from usual February date and venue.
- June 20-26: Animal Rights Awareness Week.
- June 21-25: Take Your Pet to Work Week®.
- June 1: International Sheltie Day.
- June 4: Hug Your Cat Day.
- June 8: Best Friends Day.
- June 9: World Pet Memorial Day. Second Tuesday in June.
- June 10: Jerky Day. Although created to highlight a favorite human snack, this date is also the perfect time to whip up a batch of homemade chicken jerky for your dog, too! Always the second Thursday in June.
- June 19: National Garfield the Cat Day.
- June 21: National Dog Party Day.
- June 21: National Dachshund Day. Always held on the summer solstice, this day celebrates these long dogs on the longest day of the year.
- June 22: Take Your Cat to Work Day®.
- June 24: Cat World Domination Day.
- June 25: Take Your Dog to Work Day®.
- National Lost Pet Prevention Month™. Learn how to keep your pets from becoming lost in this month-long observance launched by PetHub.
- National Pet Hydration Awareness Month.
- Dog House Repair Month.
- late July: National Feed a Rescue Pet Week: Launched in 2017, this holiday by GreaterGood.org and The Animal Rescue Site aims to feed shelter pets.
- July 1: ID Your Pet Day.
- July 4: Independence Day. This US holiday is no holiday for dogs; the sounds of fireworks causes many dogs to panic and run, resulting in many lost dogs every year.
- July 11: All-American Pet Photo Day.
- July 15: National Pet Fire Safety Day. Sponsored by the The National Volunteer Fire Council (NVFC), ADT Security Services and the American Kennel Club® (AKC).
- July 21: National Craft for your Local Shelters Day.
- July 21: No Pet Store Puppies Day.
- July 26: National Dog Photography Day. UK holiday.
- July 31: National Mutt Day. Also see Dec. 2.
- Rawgust. Celebration of raw feeding for pets for the month of August.
- Aug. 1-7: International Assistance Dog Week.
- Aug. 10-16: Give a Dog a Bone Week. Hosted by Pets of the Homeless, the event features more than 400 Pets of the Homeless donation sites nationwide asking their community to bring donations of pet food and supplies to assist the pets of the homeless.
- Aug. 1: DOGust Universal Birthday for Shelter Dogs. The North Shore Animal League America, the world’s largest no-kill animal rescue and adoption organization, declared August 1 as a birthday for all the shelter animals whose birthdays are unknown. Happy DOGust!!
- Aug. 4: Assistance Dog Day. Part of International Assistance Dog Week, this observation, always on August 4, honors the many types of assistance dogs.
- Aug. 5: Work Like a Dog Day.
- Aug. 8: International Cat Day.
- Aug. 10: Snoopy’s Birthday. Peanuts Worldwide celebrates the birthday of the world’s favorite beagle on this day.
- Aug. 10: Spoil Your Dog Day.
- Aug. 10: National Lazy Day.
- Aug. 15: National Check the Chip Day. AVMA and the American Animal Hospital Association (AAHA) joined together to create “Check the Chip Day.”
- Aug. 16: Saint Roch’s Day. Patron saint of dogs.
- Aug. 17: National Black Cat Appreciation Day.
- Aug. 17: National Nonprofit Day.
- Aug. 21: International Homeless Animals’ Day. Third Saturday in August.
- Aug. 22: National Take Your Cat to the Vet Day.
- Aug. 23: International Blind Dog Day.
- Aug. 26: National Dog Day. One of the most popular pet holidays of the year, we’ve got an entire page devoted to National Dog Day with ideas on how you and your dog can celebrate together
- Aug. 28: Rainbow Bridge Remembrance Day.
- Aug. 30: National Holistic Pet Day.
- Happy Cat Month. Established by the CATalyst Council.
- National Service Dog Month.
- National Pet Insurance Month.
- Responsible Dog Ownership Month.
- Pet Sitter Education Month.
- Animal Pain Awareness Month.
- National Disaster Preparedness Month. Led by FEMA’s Ready Campaign, Citizen Corps and The Advertising Council, this effort encourages individuals, families, businesses and communities to work together and take action to prepare for emergencies. Visit Ready.gov.
- Sept. 20-26: Adopt-a-Less-Adoptable-Pet Week.
- Sept. 20-26: National Deaf Dog Awareness Week. Last full week in September.
- Sept. 20-26: National Dog Week. Last full week in September.
- Sept. 1: Ginger Cat Appreciation Day.
- Sept. 1: Boykin Spaniel Day. A South Carolina observance honoring the South Carolina state dog.
- Sept. 8: National Dog Walker Appreciation Day. Founded in 2016 by Wag!, this day (always Sept.8) recognizes the work of professional dog walkers.
- Sept. 12: National Pet Memorial Day. Established by the International Association Of Pet Cemeteries & Crematories (IAOPCC). Second Sunday in September.
- Sept. 12: National Hug Your Hound Day. Second Sunday in September.
- Sept. 13: Pet Birth Defect Awareness Day. A day dedicated to the issue of pet birth defects including information on identification, prevention and treatment.
- Sept. 13: Scooby-Doo Day. The dog detective made his debut on this date in 1969.
- Sept. 18: Puppy Mill Awareness Day. Third Saturday in September.
- Sept. 18: Responsible Dog Ownership Day. Always the third Saturday in September.
- Sept. 19: National Meow Like a Pirate Day.
- Sept. 22: National Walk ‘n’ Roll Dog Day. Honoring dogs in wheelchairs and with mobility challenges.
- Sept. 23: Dogs in Politics Day (also known as Checkers Day). Recognizing the dogs of politicians.
- Sept. 23: Remember Me Thursday® Remember Me Thursday® is an international social media awareness day that brings attention to the millions of adoptable pets waiting in shelters and remembers those pets who never got a second chance. Share your rescue pet using #RememberMeThursday.
- Sept. 25: World’s Largest Pet Walk. Sponsored by Pet Partners.
- Sept. 28: World Rabies Day. Sponsored by the Global Alliance for Rabies Control.
- Sept. 25: Old Yeller Day. Author Fred Gipson’s hometown of Mason, Texas celebrates the famous tale on the last Saturday of September.
- Adopt-A-Dog Month®. By American Humane Association.
- Adopt-a-Shelter Dog Month. By ASPCA.
- National Animal Safety and Protection Month.
- National Pet Wellness Month.
- National Pit Bull Awareness Month.
- 1st Week of October. National Walk Your Dog Week.
- Oct. 17-23: National Veterinary Technician Week. Sponsored by the National Association of Veterinary Technicians of America. Always celebrated during the third week in October.
- Oct. 1: National Fire Pup Day.
- Oct. 1: National Black Dog Day.
- Oct. 2: Poodle Day.
- Oct. 4: World Animal Day.
- Oct. 13: National Pet Obesity Awareness Day.
- Oct. 16: Global Cat Day.
- Oct. 16: National Feral Cat Day.
- Oct. 17: National Fetch Day.
- Oct. 21: National Pets for Veterans Day.
- Oct. 27: National Black Cat Day in the UK.
- Oct. 28: Plush Animal Lovers Day. A day that most dogs will be happy to celebrate…as they unstuff those plush toys…
- Oct. 29: National Cat Day.
- Oct. 30: National Pit Bull Awareness Day. Last Saturday in Oct. (unless Halloween falls on the last Saturday, then another date is chosen).
- Adopt a Senior Pet Month. By ASPCA.
- National Senior Pet Month.
- Pet Cancer Awareness Month. Sponsored by Veterinary Pet Insurance (VPI) and the Animal Cancer Foundation. (Also see May events.)
- Pet Diabetes Month.
- Nov. 1-7: National Animal Shelter Appreciation Week. by The Humane Society of the United States. First full week of November.
- Nov. 1: National Cook for Your Pets Day.
- Nov. 1: International Pet Groomer Appreciation Day.
- Nov. 7: National Canine Lymphoma Awareness Day.
- Nov. 16: National Slobber Appreciation Day.
- Nov. 17: National Black Cat Day. Also celebrated on October 27.
- Nov. 17: National Take a Hike Day.
- National Dog Show. Always broadcast in the US on Thanksgiving, this event is held at The Greater Philadelphia Expo Center in Oaks, Pennsylvania and is hosted by the Kennel Club of Philadelphia.
- National Cat Lover’s Month.
- Dec. 2: National Mutt Day. Also see July 31.
- Dec. 5: Celebrate Shelter Pets Day. Humane Society of the United States.
- Dec. 9: International Day of Veterinary Medicine.
- Dec. 15: National Cat Herders Day.