Therapy dogs (and other therapy animals) and their handlers volunteer in hospitals, schools, nursing homes and other settings every day. They are celebrated every year on National Therapy Animal Day, a day to recognize and celebrate therapy animals, raise awareness of their role in enhancing human health and well-being, and honor the thousands of dedicated handlers around the world who volunteer their time and compassion during visits.
When is National Therapy Animal Day?
National Therapy Animal Day is celebrated every year on April 30. This pet holiday was launched in 2015 by Pet Partners, the nation’s leading organization registering therapy animals for animal-assisted interventions.
“Pet Partners volunteers and their pets are the heart of our organization and the source of our impact,” said C. Annie Peters, President & CEO of Pet Partners.
“Guided by connection, compassion, and a commitment to sharing the human-animal bond, our volunteers provide access to meaningful time with a therapy animal for those in need of joy and comfort.”
On National Therapy Animal Day, Pet Partners wants to recognize the positive impact therapy animals make, and they invite you to share your story and celebrate your therapy animal while highlighting the important contributions made in your community.
How to Celebrate National Therapy Animal Day
Pet Partners suggests six ways to celebrate National Therapy Animal Day:
- Wear a National Therapy Animal Day T-shirt, available from our Bonfire shop: bit.ly/ntadshirt23
- Participate in Treats & Sweets Day: This fundraising effort invites you to select a day in April to host a bake sale.
- Share a social post to celebrate your pet and use #NationalTherapyAnimalDay and/or #PetPartners hashtags.
- Donate to Pet Partners’ match campaign, which begins on April 20. Pet Partners’ sponsor Wellness Pet Company is matching donations up to $20,000 in honor of this year’s National Therapy Animal Day.
- Express your appreciation for a Pet Partners volunteer by sharing on social media or by sending them an email at firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Request a proclamation from your local officials. Pet Partners has a simple tool you can use help your local leaders proclaim April 30 as National Pet Therapy Day.
What are Pet Partners Therapy Animals?
Have you ever considered training your dog to become a therapy dog? You and your dog–as well as a wide variety of other animals–can be registered through Pet Partners as a team to assist people in numerous settings and situations.
Pet Partners has thousands of registered therapy animal teams across the U.S. and in several other countries who make an impact in their communities in a wide variety of settings, including:
- healthcare facilities
- senior living centers
- schools and universities
- court and justice system facilities
- facilities serving veterans
- in response to crisis events
While a majority of Pet Partners therapy animals are dogs, the Therapy Animal Program is open to cats, equines, rabbits, guinea pigs, rats, birds, miniature pigs, and llamas and alpacas.
You Also Might Like
Therapy Dog Names: Names for Your Comforting Canine
Pet Holiday Calendar of Awareness Days, Weeks and Months