We’ve had a busy, busy few weeks around here! Our manuscript for The Healthy Hound Cookbook was due to our publisher on December 1 and, just a week later, we had the edited manuscript back with author queries. We completed that job and, a couple of weeks later, we had the copyeditor’s version. (I am always in awe of good copyeditors. They read the manuscript and, in the case of a cookbook, find that you mention an ingredient in the ingredient’s list but not in the directions or visa versa. They also note that you explain something one way in one portion of the book but another way 100 pages later. I’m always amazed by the little things they’re able to spot. It’s quite a skill.)
The book then went on to a proofreader, and, at the same time, the publisher had a veterinarian go over the recipes and write an introduction to the book. The book has been typeset, and we received the blueline proofs for one final, final once-over. It’s always super exciting to see the book at this stage when it really looks like a BOOK!
In the old days, we used to receive blueline galleys as large sheets of paper with two pages per sheet but today the blueline galleys arrive as a PDF. Here’s a sample of the layout:
We just love it! We can’t wait to see the finished product in just a few months!