We’re into packing lists. In our 20 years of guidebook travel, we always, always had a packing list, usually divided up by day so we’d have what we needed for different portions of our assignment. Along with a per-trip list, we also kept a standard list in our suitcases, items we knew we needed to carry on every trip.
We do the same thing with our dog travel these days. In writing DogTipper’s Texas with Dogs, we put in many miles with Irie and Tiki exploring our home state. While we had a day trip packing list, we also had a more extensive packing list for overnight stays.
What do you carry for your dog on your road trips?
Vet Suggestions for Your Dog’s Packing List
We received a checklist of pet travel gear from Dr. Donna Spector with VCA Animal Hospitals. Here are 10 must-haves for your vacation with your dog:
- Food and water bowls
- Portable (collapsible) bowls for day excursions
- Food in airtight containers—it is important to keep your pet’s diet the same while on vacation to prevent stomach upset
- Poop scooper and bags—to properly clean up after your dog
- Extra collar and leash—in case the original gets wet, torn or lost
- Identification tags—make sure there is a cell phone number on the tags in the event your pet gets lost
- Medication—bring any prescription or non-prescription medication your pet is taking
- Pet First Aid Kit—ask your veterinarian what to include for your particular pet. Good things to include are benadryl (diphenhydramine), triple antibiotic ointment, general antiseptic (nolvasan or betadine), bandage material (sterile gauze and a wrapping material), tweezers (for tick removal from pets or people if needed!), emergency veterinary contact information
- Pet bed or something comfy to sleep on
- Dog life jacket (if you are taking any aquatic excursions)
Our Packing List
Our dog packing list includes many of the above–and more.
We’ve put together our packing list in a handy PDF format; just click on the image below to open up a downloadable, printable PDF for your next dog trip!
Tuesday 29th of December 2020
Great article. But never foget to carry a portable water bottle for your pet even when you go for a walk with your pet.I carry this bottle i got this bottle from https://mirlindi.com/products/pet-outdoor-water-bottle , It is such a travel friendly bottle and is has become an essential item for me to carry.