This recipe, courtesy Loews Hotels, was provided as part of the “Houndly Holidays” package. The recipe is courtesy Loews Hotels Executive Chef Mark Ehrler (photo, right).
Please Note: This recipe is for treats and not intended for daily consumption. Additionally, this should not be fed to pets with special dietary restrictions.
- 1 medium sugar pumpkin
- 1 tablespoon vegetable oil
- 1 9-inch single crust pastry shell
- 1/2 teaspoon ground ginger
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 4 eggs, lightly beaten
- 1 cup honey, warmed slightly
- 1/2 cup milk
- 1/2 cup heavy whipping cream
- Cut pumpkins in half, and remove seeds. Lightly oil the cut surface. Place cut side down on a jelly roll pan lined with foil and lightly oiled. Baked at 325 degrees F until the flesh is tender when poked with a fork. Cool until just warm. Scrape the pumpkin flesh from the peel. Either mash, or puree in small batches in a blender.
- In large bowl, blend together 2 cups pumpkin puree, spices. Beat in eggs, honey, milk, and cream. Pour filling into pie shell.
- Bake at 400 degrees F for 50 to 55 minutes, or until a knife inserted 1 inch from edge of pie comes out clean. Cool on a wire rack.
Looking for more recipes? Be sure to check out the Dog Treat Recipe index with a one-page list of all the great recipes on DogTipper!
Photo courtesy Loews Hotels