We’ve all seen the rage in e-cigarettes the last few years; it’s hard to go anywhere without seeing someone with these battery-operated cigarettes (some that look just like traditional cigarettes, others that look like the device above).
What I didn’t know until I saw the Today Show this morning was just how dangerous the liquid was that goes into the e-cigarettes, with the potential to cause death to both people and pets if the liquid comes into contact with your skin. According to the report below, a tablespoon of liquid on the skin of an adult can cause death, just a teaspoon on a child’s skin can be fatal.
Last month, a puppy in the UK died after biting into an electronic cigarette refill bottle. There’s a real risk of nicotine poisoning by dogs biting into the refill bottles, the cigarettes themselves, or by knocking over the refill bottles and stepping in the liquid.
Please be sure to keep an e-cigarettes and especially refill bottles away from your dog; besides the risk of a spill, the potential for your dog biting and breaking into the liquid is deadly. If you have company in your home, watch to make sure your dog doesn’t get into your visitor’s purse (a huge danger not just for e-cigarettes but medication). On your walks, be sure to keep an eye out for discarded e-cigarettes. Nicotine poisoning is a risk for all members of your family–both human and pet!
Image credit: franckito / 123RF Stock Photo