We all know how much–how very, very much–our dogs love to sneak a bite of cat food, especially strong-tasting fish flavors. If you’d like to bring that flavor to a dog treat, we’ve got you covered with this easy anchovy dog treat recipe!
Can Dogs Eat Anchovies?
Dogs can eat anchovies, but they should be offered in moderation–which is perfect for treat! Don’t forget: treats should make up no more than 10 percent of your dog’s daily diet.
These small, oily fish can be a good source of omega-3 fatty acids, which can benefit your dog’s skin, coat, and overall health.
Always opt for plain, unsalted anchovies. If you’re unsure about introducing a new food into your dog’s diet, it’s always best to consult with your veterinarian first.
Baking Anchovy Treats
The strong-tasting anchovies in this treat recipe make this a tasty option for training treat nuggets.
If you don’t have anchovies on hand, sardines, another Fido fave, will work well, too!
Looking for a simpler recipe? Don’t miss our Dehydrated Anchovies Dog Treats recipe–it only involves ONE ingredient!
This recipe brings together just a few ingredients that you probably already have in your kitchen:
- a can of anchovies in olive oil (do not drain)
- rolled oats
- whole wheat flour
- dry parsley
- 1 can, 2 ounces anchovies in olive oil (do not drain)
- 1 1/2 cup rolled oats
- 1 1/2 cup whole wheat flour
- 4 teaspoons finely chopped, or dry parsley
- 1/4 cup water
- 1 egg
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees Fahrenheit. Grease a cookie sheet or line with parchment paper.
- In a blender, puree anchovies, water, and egg.
- Mix oats, flour, and parley in a large bowl. Add anchovy mix and mix completely.
- Use a melon baller or small scoop to make small balls of dough; place on cookie sheet.
- Bake for 25-30 minutes until golden brown.
- Cool completely before serving or refrigerating.
More Dog Treat Recipes You Might Like
We’ve got dozens of treat recipes here on DogTipper; here are a few more you might like to try:
Looking for more recipes? Download one of our free dog treat cookbooks!
Cooks: Don’t miss our My Dog Says I’m a Great Cook™ cookbook with over 100 dog treat recipes from the publishers, readers and fans of DogTipper! This paperback book is available in our YUCKY PUPPY gift store!