Today we’re so excited to have a guest recipe from The Honest Kitchen! Lucy Postins, the founder of The Honest Kitchen, a family-owned company that makes healthy, dehydrated pet foods, has created a variety of nutritious recipes, some for dogs and humans alike, for her recipe book, Made Out of Love.
Basil Quiche makes a great summer brunch dish to share with family, friends and Fido!
- 1 frozen pie crust
- 3 cups plain kefir *
- 1 tbsp fresh basil (chopped)
- 1 tbsp extra virgin olive oil
- 1/2 cup shredded fresh spinach
- 4 free range eggs, lightly beaten
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- A few grinds of black pepper
- 1/3 cup Parmesan cheese
- 1/4 cup ground or diced beef or chicken, finely chopped
- Preheat the oven to 400° F.
- Warm the basil and kefir in a small saucepan over low heat for about 10 minutes and set aside.
- Heat the oil gently in a medium skillet.
- Add in the spinach and cook until it until it just begins to stick to the pan, and then turn off the heat.
- Whisk together the warmed kefir, eggs, salt, pepper and cheese.
- Add all these to the spinach, stirring gently so that everything is thoroughly combined.
- Sprinkle the meat onto the bottom of the pie crust and cover with the whisked mixture.
- Bake on the bottom rack for 15 minutes.
- Transfer the dish to the middle rack of your oven, turn down the heat and bake for another 30 minutes at 350°F (or until it feels firm on top).
This recipe is quite rich and should be served in moderation. Eggs are a cooling, Yin tonic. They are also one of the best sources of vitamin D and contain the highest amounts of lutein and zeazanthin when compared to 35 fruits and vegetables. These caroteinoids can help to reduce the occurrence of cataracts and other eye disorders.
* You may substitute light cream for the kefir for a tastier human version.
Looking for more recipes? Be sure to check out the Dog Treat Recipe index with a one-page list of all the great recipes on DogTipper!