Austin is consistently ranked as one of the most Fido-friendly spots in the nation, and on September 28th the city’s denizens will show their dogged devotion for our four-legged friends in need during a day dedicated to shining a light on the plight of puppy mill dogs.
Drumming up attention for the paws cause, Poison band member/animal activist Rikki Rockett will make an encore appearance at the presentation, joining Last Chance for Animals founder Chris DeRose, singer/songwriter Shawn Pander, singer Russell Mayes and the event’s emcees, KXAN meteorologist Jim Spencer and his barking buddy, KAXAN.
Well-behaved tail-wagging chums on leashes will be welcome with their pet parents at Scholz Garten for a four-hour fete which will include:
- Obedience and training demonstrations by TDAWG
- Toe-tapping tunes
- Tasty treats and beverages
- The chance to strike a pose in a Texas-sized group photo
- Shopping among vendor booths brimming with Rover-related products
- Adorable adoptables from the following rescue organizations: Austin Animal Center, Animal Trustees of Austin, Central Texas Dachshund Rescue, Don’t Bully Me Rescue, Double E Rescue Ranch, Forgotten Friends Mixed Breed Rescue, Greyhound Pets of America (Central Texas Chapter), Lone Star Shih Tzu and Lhasa Apso Rescue of Texas, Pug Rescue of Austin, Texas Cane Corso Rescue, Texas GSP Rescue, TSDR (Texas Sweeties Dog Rescue)
When: September 28, 2014 from 10 a.m. – 2 p.m.
Where: Scholz Garten at 1607 San Jacinto in Austin, Texas
One day prior to the Puppy Mill Awareness Day presentation, guests will gather at Shoal Crossing Event Center for an evening which will raise spirits while raising funds. The swank soiree will include special guest speakers Last Chance for Animals president Chris DeRose, Shelby Bobosky of the Texas Humane Legislation Network and Puppy Mill Awareness Day co-founder Carol Araneo-Mayer, and an auction featuring paintings by puppy mill survivors, with an artistic rendering by former Fashion Star competitor Ross Bennett’s rescued canine companion, Sophia as well as friends of Puppy Mill Awareness Day, such as KAXAN, the canine emcee of the September 28th event.
Admission: $40 ($75 for a pair of tickets)
When: September 27, 2014 from 7 p.m. – 10 p.m.
Where: Shoal Crossing Event Center at 8611 North Mopac Expressway in Austin, Texas
For more information regarding both events:
Photo Credit: Puppy Mill Awareness Day Austin