In the eyes of pet parents every day is dedicated to our friends with fur, fins and feathers, but the first full week in May has been designated National Pet Week— a special time for dog devotees, fans of felines and other animal lovers to celebrate our bond with those who bark, purr and chirp.
Launched by the American Veterinary Medical Association in 1981, the AVMA offers the following suggestions for marking the pet holiday (taking place May 1 – 7, 2016) with your dog:
- Tame Your Tail-Wagger’s Mane and Give Your Pup a Paw-dicure: Regular brushing, bathing and nail trims are essential for keeping your canine companion clean and healthy.
- Plan a Puppy Playdate: Fun with other Fidos will help to sharpen your Spot’s socialization skills. You may want to ask a trainer to be present to help keep the barking buddies on their best behavior.
- Enjoy a Constitutional with Your Canine Companion: A walk with Rover is a good form of exercise for both pet parent and pup.
- Mark the Pet Holiday with a Bit of Bling: Shop around for a snazzy new collar or leash that your dog can show off to his or her four-legged friends at the dog park.
- Check On You Dog’s Health with A Check Up: Remember that regular vet visits will help to ensure your pet’s well-being.
Animal lovers can also mark National Pet Week by showing their appreciation for those who are doggedly devoted to keeping our animal companions healthy. The American Veterinary Medical Foundation– one of the world’s oldest and largest veterinary medical organizations– is currently accepting nominations for America’s Favorite Veterinarian. To send in a nomination, visit www.avmf.org/AFV by May 17, 2015, complete the entry form and include an essay consisting of no more than 250 words explaining why your nominee deserves the title of America’s Favorite Veterinarian.
The veterinarian who wins top dog honors will receive a $500 cash prize, a trip to the 2016 AVMA Convention in San Antonio, a year-long feature on the AVMF website and a community celebration at their clinic. Additionally, the nominator of the winning veterinarian will receive an animal lover’s gift pack.
Photo Credit: AVMA