The heat is on…so we thought it would be so fun to feature a doggie recipe to help your dog cool off in these dog days of summer. As you know, dogs primarily regulate their body temperature through panting—a natural activity that removes heat by passing cool air over the moist surfaces of the tongue and lungs. To help cool canines, Southern California’s Just Food For Dogs dog kitchen developed their signature Pupsicles last summer and they quickly became a hit among the four-legged friend crowd. This summer they’re releasing their recipes to be made at home in an effort to keep dogs cool everywhere.
Pupsicles from Just Food For Dogs are tasty, frozen and healthy dog treats that are hand-made from USDA Certified human quality ingredients. Made fresh in a kitchen specifically catering to dogs, there are absolutely no preservatives, no added colors, no by-products or any other additives…and the same thing can be accomplished by following this recipe at home.
These natural dog treats come in two flavors that dogs love, Peanut Butter Banana and Beef. Stay tuned for the Beef recipe tomorrow!
The “sticks” are completely edible as they are made from the same recipe as the Beef and Peanut Butter treats. The frozen “sicle” part of the treat is yogurt based and includes all natural ingredients.
Here’s how you can make your own Pupsicle at home!
- 32 oz low-fat plain yogurt
- 2 mashed bananas
- 1/2 cup natural peanut butter
- 2 tablespoons honey
- 1 oz blueberries, chopped
- Just Food For Dogs Peanut Butter Treats
- In a medium bowl, cream together mashed bananas, peanut butter and honey.
- Add yogurt and mix until blended.
- Place blueberries on the bottom of 3 oz freezable cups. Spoon yogurt mixture into cups and place in freezer until it is partially frozen, about an hour.
- Place a Just Food For Dogs Peanut Butter Treat in the center of the Pupsicle to create a stick and place back in the freezer until frozen, about two hours.
Enjoy recipes? Be sure to check out the Dog Treat Recipe index with a one-page list of all the great recipes on DogTipper!
Cooks: Don’t miss our My Dog Says I’m a Great Cook™ cookbook with over 100 dog treat recipes from the publishers, readers and fans of DogTipper! This paperback book is available directly from DogTipper or from Amazon!
Photo courtesy Just Food for Dogs