To celebrate the joy of selecting a new dog and welcoming him or her into your family, we’ve created a whole section here on DogTipper with the info you need to select, adopt, name, housetraining, and acclimate a dog to your household and your routine. We’ll be adding more in the coming weeks so watch for announcements of new offerings in this section!
Before Your New Dog Arrives
Puppy-proofing Your Home
What Type of Dog Would You Like?
- Advice from Westminster commentator David Frei about selecting a dog to fit your lifestyle
- The best breeds for apartment living
- Choosing the best dog breeds for children
- Budgeting for your new dog
- Comparing the initial cost of small dogs vs. large dogs
Selecting a New Dog
We know from personal experience that sometimes you select a dog, sometimes the dog selects you! We’ve welcomed many stray dogs and adopted many shelter dogs through the years.
- Why you should choose a rescue dog
- Adoptable animal finder; search by your zip code. Updated every 15 minutes, 24 hours per day.
- Hypoallergenic Dogs?
Dog Name Directory
- Search our directory of unique dog names — ones from your favorite books, movies, hobbies, and more!
Choosing a Name for Your Dog
Bringing Your New Dog Home
- Bringing your new dog or puppy home; tips from Tamar Geller
- 30-minute interview with holistic trainer Alecia Evans about holistic housetraining tips
- Housetraining and praise; tips from celebrity trainer Tamar Geller
- Tamar Geller’s housetraining tips