Need a distraction for your dog? A stuffable toy can be a great way to keep your dog busy for a while, whether it’s a time you have company in your home or you’re out at the office.
The KONG is a specially created rubber toy designed to be stuffable with food and treats, making the dining experience last for a while as your dog works to get every last morsel out of the toy. KONG makes specially sized treats to fit in the toy as well as squeeze treats (much like cheese in a can) that you can squirt into the toy; your dog will have to work for his food as he gets each bit of the treat out of the toy. Hollow marrow bones can also serve as stuffable toys; be sure to never used a cooked bone (a cooked bone presents a splintering danger).
Regardless of whether you use a KONG or a clean marrow bone, you can stuff the toy with all kinds of goodies to prolong your dog’s chewing fun:
- a combination of dry kibble and wet dog food. You can mix the two or use the wet dog food as plugs at either end of the chew to hold in the dry kibble. This makes a fun way to feed your dog his breakfast or dinner!
- vegetables like green beans and carrots. You can stuff the toy completely or use peanut butter to plug the ends.
- fruits such as diced apple and banana, perhaps with some plain cereal or some kibble. The banana is especially helpful for acting as the “glue” to hold everything together.
- frozen plain (no salt, no seasoning) chicken broth, great for a summer treat!
- scrambled eggs
- boiled chicken and mashed potatoes
Stuffable dog chew toys can be a great tool for preventing boredom, working through separation anxiety, and just livening up your dog’s mealtimes!