This fall the roads that lead to Bonner Springs, Kansas will transform into pathways to the past for both pet parents and their pups as the Kansas City Renaissance Festival (one of the rare Renaissance faires in the United States to welcome dogs) marks its 40th anniversary with a hearty “Huzzah!”
For seven weekends Rennies and their Rovers can roam throughout the recreated 16th century village, enjoying entertainers on 20 stages ranging from Romani dancers and raucous comics to fire-eating magicians and Olde Worlde musicians. This year’s theme weekends include:
- September 2 – 4: Passport to the World
- September 9 – 10: Highland Gatherings
- September 16 – 17: Ales and Tails
- September 23 – 24: Shamrocks and Shenanigans
- September 30 – October 1: Wine and Chocolate Delight
- October 7 – 8: Buccaneer Beer Fest
- October 9: Harvest Huzzah
- October 14 – 15: Witches and Wizards
Ales and Tails Weekend
While canines can attend each weekend, the faire will feature a special celebration of Spots on September 16th and 17th during Ales and Tails. The two days of dogged devotion will include:
- Gentle giants and mighty munchkins in the tallest and smallest dog contests.
- Pups with a passion for fashions of the past will wow the crowd in the dog costume contest.
- Talented tail-waggers showing off their special skills in the Best Dog Trick competition.
- Rovers running toward the finish line during the Beagle Race, which will take place on the jousting track.
Kansas City Renaissance Festival Info
NOTE: Dogs must remain on a leash no longer than four feet throughout their stay on the festival grounds. All dogs at the faire must wear their festival tag at all times. Dogs must be at least six months old to gain permission to enter the festival. Pet parents must complete a dog registration form and bring proof of current vaccinations from a veterinarian, a tag with a date of expiration and a snapshot of their dog. Attendees’ dogs must visit Dog Check-In before entering the faire. For a complete list of requirements, check out the festival’s pet page.
Admission for Humans: $18.95 for an adult general admission ticket, $10.45 for a child’s ticket.
Admission for Dogs: $10 if the pet parent brings a photo of the dog, $15 if staff needs to take the dog’s photo. Admission for pooches is half price ($5) during the Ales and Tails Weekend.
When: Weekends from September 2, 2017 through October 15, 2017, plus Labor Day and Columbus Day
Where: 633 North 130th Street in Bonner Springs, Kansas
Photo Credit: Kansas City Renaissance Festival/ Instagram