Helping to turn the tide on the topic of pet homelessness, 70 totally tubular tail-waggers will hang eight during Helen Woodward Animal Center’s 13th annual Surf Dog Surf-A-Thon next month!
Four-pawed participants will try to prove why they should be the event’s Big Kahuna as they show off their surfing skills during 10-minute heats, with categories according to weight class. This year the fundraising Fidos can even show off their special skills in a freestyle surf contest!
On the sand sightseers can stroll through the BARKetplace, where they can:
- enjoy toe-tapping and tail-wagging tunes from live musical acts.
- cheer for the fashion forward Fidos who will make a big splash as they strut in surfer styles during the canine costume contest.
- applaud the abilities of clever canines as they perform dog agility and tricks.
- take their animal-loving little ones to the kids area for games and activities, including crafts and face painting.
- mull over the merchandise on display at an array of vendor stalls.
…and much more!
A beach party with a higher purpose, monies raised and donated will go toward furthering the efforts of the Helen Woodward Animal Center. For more than four decades the no-kill non-profit organization in Rancho Santa Fe, California has helped both people and pets not only by finding forever families for dogs and cats in need to love, but also by coming to the aid of senior citizens with pets through the AniMeal program, which current provides nutritious pet food for more than 250 companion animals each week; helping those with physical and emotional challenges through pet encounter therapy, and by sharing a passion for compassion with the next generation through such educational programs as Critter Camp.
Admission: Free (although donations are welcome)
When: September 9, 2018 starting at 8 a.m.
Where: Del Mar Dog Beach North in Del Mar, California
Photo Credit: Helen Woodward Animal Center